Tuesday 1 October 2013

We believe in our own cause.



Over the last few weeks, I have been planning Flourish and Blotts one stop book drop every moment of the day. From getting permission for a stall, setting up a rota, getting police permission, finding charities to donate to - it certaintly hasn't been an easy task, but it's been one of the most rewarding of my life.

When the idea first arose for a book drive, just a little over a month ago, I had no idea what I was letting myself in for. I naively thought it would be simple. Ask a shop, set up a box, post about it a little on the internet and VOILA - a successful book drive! Unfortunately that was not the case, it's been a long and stressful road, but this weekend made it all worth while.

Seeing the children's faces as they unwrapped their tombola tickets, the moments their faces changed from disbelief to pure joy, their family's cheers, their whoops of happiness, their jumps in the air, as they won a prize, showed me why we are doing this. It's for the children, and the adults, and the disadvantaged, and it is not only the books that will take us there, it is the warmth and friendship we offer out, it is the shared excitement as a child wins a prize, it is the true smile as a donation is made.

We want to make a difference, and that makes all the difference.

We believe in our own cause.

The next step is delivering the boxes and boxes of books across London to their new homes, and I can't wait to see more faces light up from our hard work.


No comments :

Post a Comment