Tuesday 27 May 2014

ReviewsdayTuesday : Rivers of London


It's been a few weeks, so this Reviewsday Tuesday is way overdue!

I had been hearing great things about Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series for a long time, and after giving out copies at our World Book Night event in Paddington Station, I just had to find out what all the fuss was about!

I've got to say, I absolutely loved this book (in fact, I've already moved on to the sequel, Moon Over Soho). Rivers of London starts in modern day London with PC Peter Grant working hard in the lowest ranks of the Metropolitan Police. Slowly, through the eyes of Peter, we begin to see the magical world that lies beneath the day to day life of London and have to solve a mystery that no one really understands. 

As I have said, I really enjoyed this book. Aaronovitch's love for the city of London really shines through. As a Londoner, I took great joy in the action being so engrained to places I know, and non-Londoners can really get lost in the London atmosphere that shines through the story. I also greatly enjoyed the humour that is weaved into what could be a very dark novel; PC Peter Grant and his fellow characters from the Met are highly likeable, and as a reader you truly want to spend time with them whilst they decipher the mysteries placed before them. 

Rivers of London is a fast-paced detective novel with an artful twist that keeps the reader engaged and curious until the very end. If you like detective fiction, fantasy or crime novels, I cannot recommend Rivers of London enough! 

American readers should note that in the US Rivers of London is instead called Midnight Riot. 

Hannah Xx

No comments :

Post a Comment